Labels

Monday, October 24, 2011

Flaxseed Funk

If anyone out there read my previous post Analyzing & Adjusting I mentioned that I have not been feeling quite right for a while. Most of the issues I was having have basically been resolved since I increased my calories. Woohoo for that! Unfortunately, I have still been in this weird mood funk that I couldn't quite figure out until now. Then, it hit me...FLAX SEEDS!!!!

I used to eat ground flax seed everyday, sometimes multiple times. I always would have some in my oatmeal in the mornings. Then, a few weeks ago I just stopped eating it completely for some odd reason. I didn't really attribute it to my mood funk until I was reading an article on flaxseeds about two days ago.
The article stated the health benefits of ALA (an omega-3 fatty acid) and the lignans found in flax seeds. These benefits include:
  • High in fiber/relieves constipation
  • Contains compounds that are cancer-protective 
  • Reduces cholesterol levels
  • Helps stabilize estrogen levels
  • Fights inflammation
  • Boosts immunity
  • Improves brain cell function/boosts mood
The list goes on and on but those are just a few of the benefits. Another great thing about they make your hair, skin, and nails look better. Also, they work great in homemade face/body scrubs!!
So, I am back to making sure to get in some flax every day because for me there is a noticeable difference in my moods when I do have them. They are pretty easy to find now that they are so popular. I get mine from Publix and they cost me less then $2 so they are also budget friendly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...